Jon and I had been officially dating since March 17, 2006. (I'll tell you the story of our first date and how we ended up together another time.) The summer we were dating I was gone quite a bit. I was in Germany for about 9 days in June on a missions trip with our church, and then in July I was gone for a week for CHIC as a high school youth leader with the youth group at our church. Little did I know that Jon purchased a ring for me approximately a month before he proposed and while I was away at CHIC, he met with my parents and talked with them, asking for my hand in marriage.
By the time July rolled around I basically knew that I would marry Jon, but I honestly thought that even a proposal was way out in the future. We had been dating for about 6 months, and even though we have a long history together (our entire lives, no foolin') I still figured we would date for a year or so and then get engaged. Jon had a different plan.
On July 28th, we had a date planned; just a fun day to spend together. At the time we were both living with our parents (he with his and me with mine) in different suburbs of Detroit. That evening I drove over to meet him on his side of town. The plan was to go mini golfing. It was a beautiful, sunny, summer evening. When I showed up at his house, we quickly realized that we were dressed eerily similar. Same color blue shorts and white T shirt or tank for me. We laughed since this was obviously not planned, but fitting for us, very fitting. For years our moms have dressed similarly, always unplanned, and we thought it apt for us since we were together and our families are so close. This point doesn't really have anything to do with the proposal, but I think it's funny (Jon and I still get teased about dressing a like, and occasionally we plan it because if makes me giggle).
We went mini golfing at a local place by Jon's parents house. It was pretty fun - especially because I won. I feel compelled to inform you that I am the most inconsistent mini golf player ever. I'll get a hole in one on a par 4, and then take 7 to get the ball in on a par 3. Nonetheless, I won and that was pretty fun (that was an unfortunate rhyme). After the mini golf game Jon suggested we get ice cream at this really fantastic place on that side of town called Guernsey. I excitedly agreed and we got in the the car to drive there. Jon took a back way called Hines Drive. It's a long and winding road that has several parks along the road and lots of scenic green grassy areas and trees. A little oasis, if you will, in the concrete suburban sprawl that is Detroit and it's surrounding areas. Along the drive, I noticed a park with swings and expressed my excitement at seeing swings, thinking that would be fun to do at the time. Then, I thought it'd be better to get ice cream and bring it back to enjoy on the swings. Jon liked the swings idea, but suggested that we stop to swing for a little bit first as the park closes after dark. I agreed. (Little did I know that Jon was secretly relieved that I agreed to swing before ice cream, as stopping in the park was all part of his proposal plan. He was worried he'd have to cajole me to stop first and in doing so give his plan away. But, not reading anything into it, I inadvertently made it pretty easy for him!).
We pulled into the small gravel parking lot and got out the of car. I started to walk away from the car and noticed that Jon was taking a little longer to get out of the car and lock it up. When I asked him what he was doing, he said "I have something for you." This set off a spark in my mind, and the thought of engagement probably crossed it, but I quickly rationalized that out of my mind. Jon had a card for me. I thought this was really sweet because I LOVE greeting cards, giving them and receiving them, and Jon is a self professed: "Not a card guy". We walked over to the swings, sat down on swings next to one another and he gave me the card. Butterflies were populating in my stomach because I didn't quite know what was going on and why he was giving me this card now. I read through it and tears filled in my eyes... not only was the pre-written card he had picked out perfect, but the message he wrote in it was very moving. I read down the inside of the card and had to move my thumb to finish the final sentence which read: "Christin, will you marry me?" Needless to say I was a tad stunned and looked up at him to find him sitting on the swing, with his hands out holding a beautiful, sparkling, diamond ring. In my shock I asked him if he was serious. We got up hugged and I said a very happily and still very surprised "Yes!" - realizing that I hadn't actually given him an answer! The hugging, kissing, and some jumping up and down ensued (and continued looks of disbelief at this ring on my finger). We then headed to get ice cream and I immediately started to call all our friends and family.
After ice cream we drove back to his parents house where they had a bottle of champagne opened and ready to celebrate (they literally jumped up and down while hugging each other! I don't know if I have ever seen them so excited!)
The only down side of this whole experience was that I had to drive back home at 1:30 in the morning. I, of course, woke my parents up when I got home and they were just as excited as Jon's folks - just not literally jumping up and down as I had just woken them up in the very very AM.
One of the things I love the most of our engagement story, is that I have it to read whenever I want. I know exactly what Jon said to me when he proposed. It's all written down in that card, that I still have, and will have forever.
So there you have it: Our Engagement Story. I think it's a pretty darn good one, if you ask me. I gotta hand it to Jon for surprising me - I really didn't see it coming! We've had some pretty good adventures since then: Planning the wedding, our honeymoon, moving to Chicago... more background stories to share later on, so once again... stay tuned!
2 comments:
Nicely done, Jon! Congrats on your engagement anniversary!
So cute! I hadn't heard that story before!
Post a Comment