Wednesday, October 14, 2009

How to tie a bow tie and other stuff guys should know

This coming weekend, Christin and I will be attending the Swedish Covenant Hospital Gala. This is a fancy shmancy event and I will be wearing my kilt and accompanying waist coat, tux shirt and bow tie. This is the same outfit that I wore for our wedding 2 1/2 years ago. Prior to our wedding, the only bow ties I had worn were clip-ons that came with the rented tux that I was wearing. Well, for our wedding, I had to have a real bow tie, don't ask me why. But I did and so I got one (this was my requirement). Now, did I learn how to tie this tie before the day of the wedding? No. Did I spend a few minutes for a few days perfecting the tieing and retieing of the bow tie? No. Why? Because I procrastinate, alot. Not as much now as I did then, but still.
Okay, so I waited till the day of my wedding to learn to tie this tie, no big deal, right? Wrong. The Tuesday before our wedding I decided to try my stuntman routine and flip over the handle bars of my bike onto the sidewalk. I was curious if I'd bounce. I didn't. What I did do was land on my left pinky. All of me. 240 pound man verse a 3 inch pinky, guess which broke first! Yup, cracked my left pinky and was actually in a splint with stitches and a swollen left hand for my wedding. Christin could barely get the ring on my finger during the ceremony. Oh, and the tie? Yea, I ended up having my best man tie the tie for me. Lucky for me, he had actually done it once. Once. Seriously we probably looked ridiculous in the bathroom at church, both in kilts and jackets and me having my bow tie tied for me by my best man. He rocked.

What does this have to do with the Gala this weekend? Nothing. Just thought that it was an interesting story to share. Just kidding. It is actually to explain why I had a bow tie, but didn't know how to tie it until now. With the upcoming event, I decided that I was absolutely going to learn this time and practice. So I have. Christin can attest to it. But, I have finally figured it out. With the help of the video at the end of this post, and this document, I finally learned. At one point during my practice sessions, Christin asked me why I wanted to learn to do this. She asked, "Is this one of those things that every man should know?" Yes. I do believe that being able to tie your own bow tie is just one of those things that a guy should know.

And this got me thinkin, what are some other things that guys should know? I have 6 nephews and 1 niece and I would love to share certain bits of knowledge with them. Well, my big sister introduced me to an amazing book that has many many wonderful things in it; The Dangerous Book for Boys. There is a similar book for girls with a similar title, The Daring Book for Girls. Anywho, these books cover a wide range of subjects like the Gettysburg Address to how to fold the perfect paper airplane. Tons of bits of trivia and knowledge that helps make a more balanced, well rounded individual. But there are somethings that it doesn't cover, like how to start a fire with gasoline AND keep all your body hair at the same time (and important part of the equation, believe me). Or, whats the best way to cook bacon. I believe that it does cover tieing a bow tie, but I am not positive. I would love to hear from some of you in the comments section about what are some things that every guy or girl should know.



No comments: