Monday, September 26, 2011

PLCBC and me

This past weekend (9/23-9/26), I was in Onekama, Mi participating in a mens retreat held at Portage Lake Covenant Bible Camp. The retreat was put on by the Great Lakes Conference of the Evangelical Covenant Church. Dave Nesburg spoke on being more of an active, rather than passive, man.
We ate mass quantities of food.
PLCBC dining hall from end of dock at sunset
We shot skeet
mmm, clay pigeons
We golfed.
"four!"
I spent a lot of time at PLCBC growing up. It has many strong memories of some important moments in my life. I accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior there. I was baptized in the lake there. I was in my first car accident there. I lead someone else to accept Christ there. I learned how to body surf there. And I'm learning how to be a better man/husband/brother/son/and friend there. 
It's an incredible place for both Christin and myself. We don't make it up there as often as we would like to. And it's been awhile since we have been able to go up for longer than a weekend in the off season. I think that the draw to the place has only strengthened, for myself at least, since we have moved to Chicago. The contrast between the speed of life in Chicago and the speed of life in northern Michigan is so strong that I find myself wanting to figure out a way to move there, or near there and away from here (sometimes). I love Chicago, I love our friends here, I love the food here, I love driving home from a vacation and that drive includes the skyline of downtown. But I also love the sunrises over Portage Lake.

No comments: