Last night we went to a hockey game here in Chicago. Now I understand that when someone goes to an event and your team is the "away" team, there will be a certain amount heckling and smart mouthing. That is expected and part of what makes going to a game fun, support for your team and not supporting the other team. But last night, I experienced something that I never really have at any other event. The couple sitting behind us was spewing forth nothing but F bombs all evening. Apparently they had no further mental capacity for human speech than to accentuate every other word with the favored F bomb. Oh, and don't forget that when you sit in the upper most section and are only six or seven rows from the top, the teams down on the ice can actually hear you in an arena filled with over 20,000 people. Yup, hassle the players from up here, it'll work awesome! Good job sparky! Keep up the good work.
I love going to sporting events and seeing the live action, but no where does it say that I need to put up with constant strings of F bombs. But, like the one member of this linguistic duo said last night, "this is a hockey game, not church." I'm still not sure what that was supposed to mean. Apparently these folk only keep themselves from swearing while in the house of the Lord. And if thats the case, I truly feel sorry for all that they encounter on a daily bases. Go into 7/11 for a coffee "thanks for the F...in coffee!", or out of a taxi "thanks for f...in ride", or even mothers day, "here's some f...in flowers, mom." I am seriously upset about this and wish that they would think a little more about how their actions effect those around them. Yes we have freedom of speech, but we also have a choice as to when to express it and when to keep it to yourselves. I would like to be able to go to a sporting event and not feel horribly uncomfortable about the prospect of taking my kids with me some day.
1 comment:
Sorry for the problem at the hockey game. I do not like it much either, and we mostly laugh at those people where I am from. Hard to do with kids though. I agree.
On another note, get a guestbook on your blog, or at least post an email address in your profile so I can email special stuff.....
Later,
Harvey
Post a Comment