Monday, July 14, 2008

Post-a-month

Apparently I am going to post on our blog once a month. Go me for creating this thing. Last month Christin and I traveled to the Dominican Republic with the youth group from Faith Covenant in Farmington Hills Michigan. It was a truly amazing experience. Honestly. I have never traveled off of North America, and so that alone was kind of nerve racking, but I made it. I have also never really spent an extended amount of time with people who do not speak English. Christin and I were two of six leaders that took thirty students for a week long missions trip to the DR. We coordinated with Merge Ministries (http://www.covmerge.org/) who helped establish relationships for us before we got there. We served two churches in the Puerto Plato area of the DR through a works project in the mornings and a vacation bible school in the afternoons. I am so impressed, but not surprised, by the work ethic of our students. They were amazing. They painted, cleaned, shoveled cement, broke concrete, installed a new roof, and overall sweated harder than I think most of them ever have. Oh, and then they put on an amazing VBS after all of that! I am not going to put all of the details of our trip here, but it was an amazing experience and Christin and I did not want to come home, and I think that we would both still rather be there than here.

No comments: