Monday, August 2, 2010

Stanley & Me

       This past Friday, July 30, I stumbled into the opportunity to see one of the Championship Chicago Blackhawks and the Stanley Cup at a local restaurant. As I was heading downstairs for lunch, a co-worker, Steve, was heading up stairs and asked if I wanted to meet Niklas Hjalmarsson and see the Cup. I didn't quite believe him or fully grasp what he was talking about. So I continued to the lunch room and talked with another co-worker, Ben, about this opportunity, neither of us really believing that it was happening. But, as we stood there, Steve called down and said that we were going, so Ben and I headed out to the waiting truck. When we arrived at Tre Kroner, sure enough, Niklas was sitting in the front of the restaurant being interviewed for the Hungry Hound and sitting in the next room was the Cup.
 
(Niklas is in the Red shirt)
As we stood there kind of gawking, a table for four opened so we decided to sit and eat lunch there. While we were waiting for the food to arrive, Steve pulled up some stats on Hjalmarsson so that if we actually had the chance to meet him, we wouldn't sound like complete idiots. He's 6'3" and 205lbs. Our food eventually came and then so did the Cup. The white gloved guardians of the Cup brought it out and set it on the table directly behind the interview so we got up and took some pictures (me, Ben, Steve, and Don).
Finally Hjalmarsson hoisted the Cup above his head and everyone applauded.
The Cup was placed in the awaiting Escalade, Hjalmarsson departed and we enjoyed our lunch (I had the broccoli and cheddar quiche). All around, not a bad Friday if I do say so myself.

J

(photos, transportation, & catering courtesy of Don Meyer)

3 comments:

Christin said...

Soooooooo jealous. :)

Ann-Marie said...

There is so much about this that is bizarre to me. But I'm glad you all got the opportunity!

Alli said...

That's so cool!